Search This Blog

About Me

Bordentown, New Jersey, United States
I have lived in four countries, four states (worked in six), many cities, towns, and villages, and have visited many more. I have friends in many countries and cultures around the world and love them all. I am a pluralist and anti-ideologue. I believe that compassion is pragmatic and the scientific method is the path to enlightenment. To that effect, I believe that curiosity, imagination, and intuition are the initiating attributes of the empiricist, because a theory must come from a hypothesis - and a good hypothesis must come from a dedicated artist.

Blog Archive

Monday, September 6, 2010

I was a Child - words and music by G. D. Lafontant - copyright 1989 (or so)



I was a child happy to wonder.
I had a mind as bright as my eyes.
I was a child exiled and scorned.
Took me awhile to recognize lies.

I was shown women as for my amusement.
I was told that the poor were there for my use.
I was taught war was something I should do.
Like my parent's before me,
I know these things are not true.

Women, my sisters, to you my love.
A poor man in spirit is how I shall live.
Peace is a verb I know I must do.
All that I've got is all I have to give.

Look at the world, look at yourself inside and out.
Always ask questions and remain in doubt.
Ask yourself hard just what you're about.
Know that the world that we see
Is what it is
and everywhere that we go love
love can exist.

So, when I am old; my hair growing gray
and all of my faculties are slipping away -
When I am old and my breath's runnin' short
Hope the world is a garden and not a fort.

And when I am dying - passing away -
in the cold of the night or warm sunny day -
When I am dying I hope I die by myself
for I'd rather die alone than along with everything else.

Look at the world, look at yourself outside and in.
To know where your going find out where you've been.
You can't hope to finish what you never begin.
Know that the world that we see
Is what it is
and everywhere that we go love
love can exist.

Yes, I am a child still happy to wonder
and I have a mind as bright as my eyes
cause I've been a child since the day I was born
And when I want the truth I peel back my disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment